Friday, November 15, 2013

Entry 8


During my fieldwork I have learned two very important things. First, I have learned that a teacher is there for the kids. To protect them and help them learn. Providing a safe and fun learning environment is of the utmost importance. If students feel safe it is easier for them to express themselves and learn new things. If students have a learning disability you need to make adjustment in the classroom so that all your students can learn. I have seen this time and time again in Mrs. Cullimore's classroom. She has a few students with learning disabilities that need a quiet environment to learn. As a result her classroom is always very quiet and all of the students have responded positively to this type of environment. 

I believe the second most important thing I have learned is incorporating different learning modalities in the lessons. Mrs. Cullimore does this everyday. Even given instructions is done multiple ways so that each student is able to understand and complete the task needed. She will tell the students the instructions, show the kids how to do it and then answer any questions they still have about the activity. I think incorporating all the learning modalities makes lessons more fun for both the students and the teacher. It helps you be more creative with the activities you complete in the classroom. 

I have learned so much this year while doing the fieldwork. I have loved every minute of it and know that I will love being a teacher some day. I grown to love this class of second graders and have made arrangements with Mrs. Cullimore to continue my fieldwork until the end of the school year. I am so excited to continue getting experience in the classroom and learning more about what it takes to be a great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment