Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Entry 4


This past week the kids had fall break. Their assignment was to decorate a little person cutout to resemble what they were going to be for Halloween. Turns out these kids are really creative! My job was to decorate the wall outside of the classroom with this cute project. This was just one clerical responsibility I had while working in Mrs. Cullimore's classroom. Some of my other responsibilities include grading papers and setting the classroom up for fun activities. Each Tuesday the class works on their spelling words. It is then my job to grade their work and make sure they have the correct spelling for each word on their test. On Tuesday's and Thursday's the class participates in a fun project. This week they painted a color wheel. It was aimed at helping them understand the primary colors and how other colors are made. I helped set up each station and then after the kids were done I helped clean up the classroom. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. 

Report cards will be coming out in a  week or two, as a result, Mrs. Cullimore has been assessing the kids on where they are at in the curriculum. She does this by taking one student back at a time and does an activity with them. Although they are taking a test, the pressures of test taking are not apparent. She just asks them to read words for her (which they do on a daily basis) and then write a sentence. I think this is a great way to manage assessment. As a teacher you are able to see exactly where each child is doing well and where they nee improvement. When report cards do come out Mrs. Cullimore will be able to relay that information to the parents. 


I have really been loving my fieldwork. I didn't think I would get to know the kids in the classroom or get attached to them. It has really been an amazing experience and increased my excitement to teach. I have learned more doing the fieldwork hours than I ever thought possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment